I know given the post on everything you can put in compost, it's hard to believe
there are things that can't go in it. But alas, there are. Here is a quick and dirty list of what not to put in your compost pile/container:
- Human waste (although if you wanted to get a composting toilet that would be awesome!)
- Pet waste (with the exception of the cage bedding mentioned Tuesday)
- Meats, bones, and fatty wastes
- Pernicious weeds (basically anything you are worried about re-growing, this is what Over Coffee mentioned)
- Diseased plants
- Chemically treated wood products
Got it, good! Now I have to share with you that between the compost and my dog, we have zero food waste going into the trash. It works out perfectly that she loves everything that can't be composted and doesn't really care for that which can. I know avoiding trash isn't the best reason to get a dog, but it's a huge bonus and it will save you on dog food.
Questions? More compost concerns? How we doing so far? Tomorrow is the Green Grab Bag, but I will wrap up Compost Week on Saturday and Sunday with how to get the compost from your house to your pile/container and how to take your compost on the road.