Saturday, May 23, 2009

Compost Creations

I hope you are having a beautiful Saturday!  Today my mom is visiting.  She brought some raised garden beds and we are going to do some veggie planting.  I will do a whole post on it soon, but I am telling you now because it is just one of the ways I will be using my compost.  

Compost is magical in a way because it takes any type of soil (dry, sandy, clay, etc...) and makes it better.  It's like the organic solution to almost every gardening woe.  And it's FREE!

In addition to the raised beds, I mixed compost in with just plain old soil (from my yard) that I put in the pots to grow veggies in my greenhouse.  I also put a small layer of compost between the sunflower seeds I just planted and the top soil I placed back over them.  Basically anything I plant that I want to succeed, gets a little compost help. 

So what do you do with your compost?  What do you want to do with it?  Any tips?

1 comment:

Pattyskypants said...

I use my compost to grow veggies. I use the same plots every year, so the soil needs to be replenished at least annually. Sometimes I add composted manure and it all seems to break up the hard clay soil we have here. Have more than one compost bin going at a time!