Monday, May 25, 2009

Compost in the kitchen


I thought I was ready to wrap up compost week until I remembered that I forgot to mention how to take compost from your house to your pile/container.  If you have your container right outside your kitchen area, I suppose you could put it right in there as you go.  We don't have this luxury, so we use an old 3 gallon drink container to put in scraps as we go and empty it when it gets full (about twice a week).  

It's great if you can reuse an old container (5 gallon bucket, old trash can, kitty litter bucket, giant snack container, basically anything with a lid) you have at home for this, but sometimes you might not have one lying around or available.  In that case there are several options for purchase.  There are ceramic, metal, and plastic options.  It's just a matter of finding what works best for you.  

What do you currently use?  Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Meghan Henley said...

I know this is a super old post but I thought it was worth mentioning. My husband and I just use large freezer bags and keep adding to them until they are full. Then we pull them from the freezer and take them out to the garden. This keeps the flies/fruit flies away...we just wash out the bag and use again. :)