Back when I did my post on recycling Brita filters, Lisa kindly asked my opinion on well water. Well (no pun intended), I have to be honest and say at the time I didn't have one because I was drastically uneducated on the subject. I don't think I would say that I am now educated, but I did read a bit in O Magazine that addresses the subject that I wish to share with all of you.
"If you have a private well, the EPA recommends that you test for bacteria and nitrates yearly. These contaminants can enter your well through cracked ground pipes or in runoff from snow and rain, Depending on where you live, you may also need to periodically test for arsenic, radium, radon, and several other dangerous substances. These occur naturally in the soil and water in certain areas of the country (radon, for example, is an issue in northeastern states). Your county health department can tell you what to check for and direct you to certified testing laboratories..." It goes on to say, "Should a test detect lead or pesticides, a simple filter-either a pitcher with a filtering device built in or a faucet-mounted system (look for one that is NSF certified)-is all a healthy adult needs...But if bacteria turns up or if you have children, are pregnant or elderly, or have a chronic disease, invest in a more thorough filter, such as a reverse osmosis system." -O Magazine, May 2009
Of course I trust the editorial prowess of the staff at O, but I wanted to make sure to get you the whole story. So I found you the EPA website which answers all the questions you might have, I think.
So what do you think? Do you have a well? Do you get it tested? Have you ever found anything to be concerned about?