Sunday, April 12, 2009

Turning into my mom


I can remember when I was growing up, looking up at the dish drainer (no dishwasher then either) and seeing plastic bag after plastic bag lined up there.  I remember thinking "Why does mom waste all her time and energy cleaning out these gross bags just to reuse them, when she could just buy more?"

Of course now I don't think they are gross and I understand exactly why she did it.  My mom was an environmentalist way before it was cool.  And (in this way at least) I am proud to be like her.  Those are plastic sandwich bags lined up on my own drainer.  I wash out a few every day and reuse them.  I haven't had to buy bags in over a year.  

Join me and my mom in this reuse-it's easy and $ saving!

Do you do this?  Tell me, can you put these in a dishwasher?  Any other baggy tips?

3 comments:

Green Lasagna said...

My children will remember the same thing. I still do it. I remember saying the other day that at $1 for 16 now instead of 20 qt. size bags, I would not be able to stop washing them.

I even wash the meat ones, swab with alcohol, and put aside for garden use.

Pattyskypants said...

LOL! Done this for 40 years now. xxoo Patty

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

Interesting story. I made bread for the family's Easter dinner at my in-laws and put it in a clean reused zip lock bag. After dinner, I looked all over the kitchen for the bag so I could use if for the left over bread. My sister in law told me she tossed it because the bag was "used." Ugh. :(