Sunday, April 26, 2009

Buy big or go home

Last weekend when we went to Grand Rapids to see the butterflies, we also made an epic trip to Costco.  Now for those of you who don't know, Costco is a big box store that sells things in bulk for cheaper then most stores.  This is great for two reasons, 1. It's much more affordable to buy things in bulk.  2. It cuts down on packaging and trips to the store, therefore helping our planet.  

We were especially excited because we do not have a Costco near us and could find many organic products in bulk there that we typically pay 2-3x more for at our small health food store that is a ways from our house.  

Now we have a list of all the products we love from Costco and are putting a list together for my mom so she can get us our favorites every month when she comes to visit.  Some of our favorites are baking soda and vinegar (for cleaning), organic PB & J (boys' lunches), and organic instant oatmeal (boys' breakfasts). Saving the Earth, saving $-you know I love it!

Do you big box it?  What's your favorite store?  Any tips for buying in bulk?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

we have a bj's not too too far away which is like a costco but we dont go that way very often. shaws our local supermarket has good deals on bulk items and they have a wide range of organic and natural products - including gluten free and vegan options so its a very enlightened place... and thats where i getmost of my bulk stuff. if im going that direction i will stop in bj's but i fidn i have a terrible tendency to buy things i dont reallyneed, so i try to stay out of temptations path!

Over Coffee - the green edition said...

I love Costco! (probably too much). I love how much organic/natural stuff they have now. I get my Method soap refills there, organic apples, carrots, raisins, brek bars, etc. I just bought a bunch of Annie Bunny snacks for baseball season. See what I mean, I love it way too much!

Heather said...

Dropping in via SITS. You signed in above me today!

I loooove Costco. We always leave with more fresh fruits and veggies than anything else. They are always so ripe.

dongdong said...

HI, I saw the panda you sent Lisa. He is adorable. We just read a book on panda. We like the Frederick Meijer garden. I have not heard of Eco but would be interested in it. Thanks for sharing.