"Where is my water bottle?" is exactly what I said to myself as I got ready to depart my plane in Connecticut. My big orange aqua friend was gone. I am pretty sure I left her in the Detroit Metropolitan Airport and I was thoroughly upset. I loved that bottle! I took her everywhere!
And this is just to say that you should have a water bottle...a reusable one...that you love too. You have heard about how disposable plastic water bottles are bad news right? Here I will break it down for you in bullet points. I like bullet points.
- Plastic bottles take oil/energy to make
- They then take oil/energy to ship
- They take oil/energy to store
- You drink them (possible containing toxins leached in from said plastic)
- Ideally you recycle the bottle-which takes oil/energy
- Or you don't and the plastic ends up sitting around our planet for hundreds of thousands of years.
- Now multiply this by billions (38 billion a year!) and you have our plastic bottle industry.
Ok, back to my reusable bottle. It's gone. I hope some kind soul at the airport found it and is now using it to save the planet. I promptly headed over to whole foods when I got to my destination (oh, Whole Foods, please move to Kalamazoo!) and got a new one.
But do you know how many reusable bottles are out there? There are a ton of choices. Just make sure you do get a reusable one that is BPA free. This is what my old orange friend was, a Camelbak. I am a personal fan of the straw on my water bottle and ended up finding a lovely stainless steel model with straw and self-hinging clip! Even better! (Sorry old orange friend). There were also twist tops, flip tops, pull tops, plastic, metal, big, medium, and small. A reusable bottle for all.
So what is your favorite reusable bottle? Is there one you are dying to try? How long have you had your bottle?