Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sniff Sniff. Wheeze Wheeze.

To say that it has been cold here in Michigan would certainly be an understatement.  Every morning I wake up to my trees blanketed in snow and smile.  And then I hear it...sniff, sniff, sniff...it's my family, and sometimes me.  We have become a bunch of snuffleupaguses with stuffy noses, runny noses, sore raw red noses.  And we are cold and snowbound all day just passing it back and forth to one another and going through more kleenex then anyone ever imagined possible.  

The worst part about the snuffles is that it keeps my babies from sleeping...which means it keeps me from sleeping...and I need sleep.  A lot of people use vapor rub, but I am suspect.  For one, it is petroleum based product which equals bad news for you and Mama E.  And, it isn't recommended for children under the age of 2.  No wonder with ingredients like "spirit of turpentine."  Am I the only one beginning to wonder if I can't put it can't be used on a  baby then maybe everyone should give it a second thought?
So I was over the moon when I discovered this simple, inexpensive, and most importantly, effective solution.  PEPPERMINT OIL!  I took a whif of it a while back and it totally cleared me up.  That got me to thinking, if this works for me, it's bound to work for the little guys.  So I started putting a few drops on the mattresses (for the smallest one) and pillows of all who were stuffy and they stopped sniffling and coughing and started sleeping like the proverbial baby!  All night long!  They even woke up less stuffy!  That's what I call a little miracle in a bottle.

If you don't feel comfortable putting it right on the pillow, try a few drops in a humidifier in the room and make your own vaporizer.  If you don't just have peppermint oil, I found this great place where you can grab a bunch and save a historic mint farm from foreclosure.  

And stock up because not only have I found peppermint oil great for easing stuffiness, but it's a huge blessing when I have a headache or want a refreshing bath.  What about you?  Are you a fan of peppermint oil?  What for?  

No comments: