Saturday, January 24, 2009

Maybe Winnie the Pooh Had It Right

Happy Weekend!!! My mom called me one morning a couple days ago to tell me about something she had seen on her morning news show. This isn't an uncommon occurrence as we do not watch TV and therefore always miss out on the "the latest studies" my mom calls to tell us about. This one was about a pediatrician who had found that sometimes giving your children honey works as a cough suppressant. Perhaps you saw it.

 The main idea is that often cough medicines are unsafe for young children and that a spoonful of honey might work just as well for children over the age of 1 (honey is a no, no for children under that age according to the medical gurus that be). So the other day when our youngest, 14 month-old Everett, developed a hacking cough that caused him to lose his pacifier, start screaming, and wake us up all night long, you better betcha I broke out that honey. 

And guess what...it worked! A spoonful of honey before bed and nary a cough all night long. My sanity and I say thank you to the sun, the bees, the flowers, the earth for this little magic remedy that lets us all sleep better.

What about you? Have you had success with honey for a cough? Honey for other things?

And on a side-note, how do you like the new layout? I am playing around with things, so please share your feedback. Good or bad, bring it on, this is your page too!

3 comments:

Hccm said...

My grandmother always told me that, but I was to scared to try it.

Emily ~ Little Window Shoppe said...

I've heard that too - although haven't tried it out, but I think I will next time! Thanks for the tip. :)

melissa said...

I have heard that to and it works we give our kids tea and honey with a cough