Monday, October 19, 2009

How To Go Green On The Cheap


I hope that throughout almost a year of posting this blog, I have helped you realize that going green doesn't have to be expensive. But I realize that some of you are new to Green Gracious (welcome!) and two hundred twenty some posts can be a lot to sift through to find the really affordable stuff. Plus one of my favorite fun bloggers always says that things are just easier with bullet points. I agree. I am a bullet point kind of gal. So here we go, how to go green on the cheap-bullet point style.
  • Make your own where you can. Start with the really simple stuff like vinegar, water, and baking soda to clean. You won't believe how much you can save just on cleaning products. Then if you want, you can reinvest that into some more pricey green purchases.
  • Reuse. Cloth napkins, taking furniture from one place in your house to another, washing ziplock baggies (that haven't been used for meat), these are all great examples of reusing things in your house to keep from having to buy more and thus, save money. And there are about a million or so more.
  • Buy used. Before you head to the store, make it a habit to check out the local consignment store, garage sale, Craigslist, or Ebay. You would be amazed at what you find. I keep a running list of what I need (right now measuring cups are on there) on my phone so I can reference it when I am out and about.
  • Sell used. Think about listing your things on Craigslist, Ebay, or having a garage sale. I list all the bigger items we don't need anymore (furniture, large toys, etc...) and keep a running rubbermaid bin in a closet for our annual garage sale.
  • Look for a bargain. Because organic is becoming more popular, it is coming down in price a little. And more mainstream brands are realizing that going green is a good idea. Look at places you shop frequently (my big one is Target) for organic alternatives when you are out and you may be surprised at how they compare in price to what you were using.
  • Learn something new. Doing it yourself is one of the original green secrets. Learn to sew, bake, cook, garden, etc...and you will feel empowered, talented, and be capable of doing a lot more green good.
Simple. Easy. Bulleted.

2 comments:

Lucy Pursglove-Jones said...

Brilliant points, Willo! I especially agree with the last; Being creative is very empowering :) Xx

Alicia said...

Green cleaning is definitely cheaper and much better for the environment. Here is how i clean my microwave: Mix 1/2 of water with a few teaspoons of baking soda in a microwave safe bowl. Put the bowl in the microwave and run it for 2 minutes. Take out the bowl and wipe it clean with just a rag; every last spot will come out!