Tuesday, February 10, 2009

10 Uses Tuesday: Baking Soda


I have a secret love...and my husband isn't at all threatened because my secret love is not another man but a small box of beautiful white powder...no, not that white powder. I love baking soda. I LOVE it! It is clean and green and there are a ton of things you can do with it! Don't believe me, check out this list of ten clever uses.

I could probably add 10 more all on my own, but I know not everyone shares my love of bicarbonate (yet!) so I will just give you one keeping with our theme of freshness this week. Your baking soda box doesn't just eliminate odors in your fridge, it can help in the rest of your home as well. Just sprinkle it directly onto your carpets and/or furniture (I find it helps get pet hair off more easily) and let it sit between 15 minutes and 24 hours (for a really unfresh home) then vacuum up and VOILA! Odors gone, freshness in!

Have you tried this? How did it work? Do you love baking soda as much as me? What else do you use it for?

4 comments:

Amy said...

My favorite thing for baking soda is using it to shine up my pots. If I have something that gets burnt on the bottom, I sprinkle it with baking soda and then add just a little water and let it set. They always clean up like a dream.

I use it for so many things that we buy it in bulk. It is especially good for stinky kitty litter ;)

Can't wait to peek at that list!

Over Coffee - the green edition said...

I recently used it (in combination with vinegar) to clear our drains. I cannot believe how well it worked! No one would ever need to use yucky cleaners like Drano if they used baking soda and vinegar at the first sigh of sluggish drains…..

Willo said...

Thanks Amy and Over Coffee!

I haven't tried the pots idea (but I am SO on it now!) but I have done the drain cleaner and will post further on it in the future. This and a snake and the world is Draino free! What a happy thought!

Pam said...

I too have a love of baking soda. I use it several ways: washing my stoneware, scrubbing the toilet and tub, combine it was vinegar to unclog drains, cleaning the inside of my microwave by mixing with water in a microwave safe bowl and "cook" for several minutes on high.