Monday, June 8, 2009

The Itchy Skin Solution


In case you haven't heard enough about my skin issues yet, I am going to indulge you further.  I have itchy, sensitive, often pink skin.  And it is so much all of these things, that when it flares up (often at my wrists, elbows, and chest) I have a really hard time finding anything to sooth and protect it.  

Occasionally hydrocortisone cream will work, but I try to avoid using it because a. It's toxic b. It smells funny c. I can't use it on my boys who have been blessed with these characteristics of my skin, mainly on their lovely cheeks.  I have also tried the natural/green versions of these creams and I hate to say this, but they didn't really work for me.  I'm not saying you can't go out and try them, or that they won't work for you.  I just didn't have success with them.

But I did have a ton of success with the simple solution I am sharing with you today...diaper cream.  That's right, when I get skin flare ups, I sneak into my youngest son's stash of Burt's Bees diaper cream and slather it on.  It works perfectly because it relieves the itch, eases the redness, protects the area from water, sweat (perfect when I am running), it's good for me and the Earth, and smells great at the same time (well, if you consider as fresh as a baby's bottom pulled out of  a beehive great).  It's also great not only for these spring and summertime flare ups but also for when their cheeks get wind burn (especially in the Winter).

I know what you are thinking, "But Willo, it's diaper cream, doesn't it get all over everything?"  Alas, it does.  And I have not come up for the perfect solution for this yet.  But I apply it to myself before I run and before bed, and the boys before bed.  And when we get up it is soaked in and the skin is healed (or mostly healed).  Don't worry, it easily washes out of clothing and bedding.  

What do you think?  Anyone else have skin like this?  Is it worth a shot?  Have you tried anything similar?

2 comments:

Lori said...

I'm so new to green products. We're doing chlorine free diapers and feminine products and baking soda for a lot of cleaning, otherwise simple green/method, so I'm not sure if there is a green anti-perspirant...

It has to be anti-perspirant, not just deodorant, but that works amazingly well on poison oak and bug bites. That may help too!

Lizzie said...

diaper cream works WONDERS on my dry hands in the winter months. i haven't tried burts bees though, have to give it a shot :) what i do is put on soft cotton gloves after slathering up and sleep with the gloves on. i wake up with silky skin