Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Sustainable Eating Book Shelf

One of the ways I began my foray into sustainable eating was through books.  This was a natural path for me as I love books and never fail to find time for reading those things that interest me most.  The more I read about changing the world and my health through food, the more I wanted to read.

Here are some books that taught me so much and helped move me toward change:

Crazy, Sexy, Diet: I have told you about this one before.  Kris Carr has a super-fun and accessible writng style.  Don't let the word "diet" fool you.  This is all about making a lasting total life change for the better.

The Kind Diet: Quick, simple, and easy to follow.  Again less about dieting and more about life changing.  Alicia Silverstone emphasizes the importance not just of going vegan (or eating less animal product), but of eating whole plant foods.  This book also includes baby step recipes to work your way up to super hero eating status.


Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life: Barbara Kingsolver wrote this with her family about their efforts to eat local for a year.  It's a fascinating and inspiring look at what is possible.


In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto: I wasn't lying when I said I love Michael Pollan, and this book is my favorite.  I love his manifesto ("Eat food, mostly plants, not too much.") for its simplicity.  I love even more that he goes on to elaborate on exactly how one might live the manifesto (eat at a table, eat slowly, eat meals).  I wrote it out in bullet points and put it on my fridge.


Kathy Freston's books: She wrote Quantum Wellness, the book that first made me decide to go vegan.  She now has out a great one for people just approaching the idea called, Veganist: Lose Weight, Get Healthy, Change the World.  I haven't read Quantum Wellness Cleanse: The 21-Day Essential Guide to Healing Your Mind, Body and Spirit, but plan to in the fall before my next cleanse.

What else?  What did you read that totally changed your relationship to food?

No comments: