Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Vicksburg Farmer's Market::June 3rd, 2011

This summer I am going to be taking part in the Green Phone Booth's Farmer's Market Report each week.  The report encourages people to share what is going on at one's own local farmer's market and in doing so, supports the local, seasonal food movement.  You can find a farmer's market near you with Local Harvest.

I am happy to report on my village's growing market.  Like everything we do here in Vicksburg, the market is charming.  Staged at the site of a defunct drive-in, shoppers can peruse the local fare while gazing out at Sunset lake.

Not a lot is in season yet here in Michigan.  We still have asparagus (2 bunches for us).  There are several vendors selling plants and I stocked up our "herb garden" with oregano, creeping thyme, rosemary, and sweet basil from the sweet folks at Pleasant Hill Farm.  I got enough treats (brownies and chocolate chip cookies) from Bread Etc... to finish out Tucker's school year.  I cleared out one of my favorite vendors, Avalon Farms, of all their kale and collards for our green juice in the mornings.  And finally, I replenished my body wash supply with the uplifting scent of "Energy" body wash from Shower Treat Soap. 

I look forward to more veggie soon, both from the market and my garden.  But in the meantime, I will take the goodies I can get and the invaluable lessons and input on cooking and growing from people who know far better than me.

Have you been to a farmer's market this season?  What are you finding?

No comments: