Monday, August 24, 2009

Would You Like Some Climate Change With That?


I don't go to the drive-thru very often, but every time I do, I think about all the cars idling in drive-thrus all over the world....all of the gas wasted, all the atmosphere harmed. I also think about it stopped at our villages many rail road crossings.

According to Sierra Club, every hour you idle you waste .7 gallons of gas. So it literally pays to turn your engine off if you are going to be still in your car for 30 seconds or more. Need more reason? Every year in the U.S. cars burn 1.4 billion (yes, with a "b") gallons of gas idling. That doesn't even include trucks which spend another 1.5 billions gallons sitting around. That's 58
million tons of carbon dioxide for nothing!

So engines off readers. At the drive-thru, at the rail road crossing, at the light that just turned red. Have you already started this? What are some other ways we can save on idling?

3 comments:

Lucy Pursglove-Jones said...

Shocking statistics!
I'll be sure to switch off. x

Lucy Pursglove-Jones said...

Hey Willo.
Just nipped back to let you know I've linked your blog for an award today, hope you don't mind!
Enjoy the rest of your week.
Lucy. x

Sol said...

smaller bmw cars no turn off atomatically. I dont understand it but it idles, stops and starts again by itself. there isanother car that does this but I cant remember the name