Sunday, May 8, 2011

Maternal Wisdom: Happy Mother's Day!

When I first found out I was pregnant with my oldest, I rushed to tell my mom.  Her reaction wasn't at all what I was expecting.  Instead of the congratulations or thrill of excitement I had hoped to hear, it was more like, "Wow...well...wow that is something, huh?"

I was disappointed and told her so.   Not until this moment, 6 years later do I truly understand what she said to me in response, "Willo, of course I am happy for you.  Of course I will love this child and be excited to have them in my life.  But I know how much it totally changes a person's life to have children.  I know how your life will never again be the same, never again be totally yours.  I know what a difference this will make to you, good and bad."

Those words seemed harsh at first, but now I see them for what they are-words of pure, true maternal wisdom.  Because motherhood is on of the greatest spiritual journeys, but like any spiritual journey, not without its cost.  Our hearts are mortgaged from then on out.  I give mine gladly in this pursuit and give thanks to the boys that share it with me.

I honor all of you mothers out there and I share this bond with you.  The bond of the wisdom my mom shared with me and that only a mom can have.

No comments: