Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Who Knew About Vacuums

We must be hard on vacuums around here.  We're on our third in less than 5 years.   My local vacuum guru informed me after my Dyson broke (again) that because it was made with all plastic parts, it had staying power of about 3-5 years.  Now I don't know about you, but I am not prepared to drop hundreds to fix or replace a vacuum every couple years.

 I really don't care for plastic in just about anything, so why had I bought an all plastic vacuum in the first place?  Because it was cool.  Because everyone had one.  Because I bought into the hype...and had a 20% off coupon at Bed Bath & Beyond.



We decided not to fix the pile of plastic, but to invest in something much more long term.  Something made in the US with all metal parts and serious staying power.  The new Riccar not only works like a dream, but has exposed us to a lot less dust and allergens.

The Dyson wasn't all bad though.   It definitely taught me a lesson in taking a hard look at why I buy.

No comments: