Wednesday, January 5, 2011

X Marks the Spot


If you are planning on spending a year (or as much time as possible) buying nothing new, it's probably a good idea to have an idea of where you can shop. Those who are used to just jaunting up to the mall might have to rethink their plan of attack. I find it helpful to have an idea of all possible shopping options so that when a need arises, I know where to go. I am lucky enough to have a clothing resale, a furnishings resale, and an antique store right in my tiny little village, but if you aren't so second-hand flush, there are plenty of other options.

Garage Sales: I have a friend in Texas who is always posting her year-round garage sale finds on Facebook. We don't have that novelty here in the land of four seasons, but most of the year it is one of the most affordable resale options for most people.

Local Resale/Antique/Thrift Shops: Chances are that you have a resale, antique, or thrift shop close to you. I live in a village of only 2,000 people and I have three within 5 minutes. These are the ones I frequent most often, not only because they are nearby (and that saves on gas) but because it allows me to support the local economy and get the best deals. I know these shop owners by name and can tell them what I am looking for so when that item comes in or goes on sale, they can let me know. If you can make these close relationships with shop owners, not only do you get to know someone better, but you can get on email lists for deals and coupons and have someone looking out for you in your treasure hunt.

Goodwill/Salvation Army: These powerhouses of thrift are everywhere, so you can probably easily locate one in a nearby neighborhood. If not, try ShopGoodwill.com. Ask your local store about when they run their sales. My local Goodwill has 1/2 off everything the last Saturday of the month. This works perfectly because it allows me to get a great deal with the money I have left in my budget at month's end.

EBay: Speaking of online...I am sure you know of EBay and it is always there, although you might have to be discriminating to find already used items.

Craigslist: I love this because it is an online tool that you can use to buy not only second hand, but local as well. I find the key with Craigslist to be patience. I have been shopping there long enough to know that certain items pop up often and surely the perfect thing I am looking for will pop up eventually. It's also a nice resource to shop by keyword so you can get specific with your needs/wants.

Etsy: Search vintage or handcrafted from upcycled and support some of the world's most creative people.

ILikeItMama: One of my personal favorites, run by a mom, with resale clothing for the whole family, searchable by gender and size.

What do you love that I haven't mentioned? Any second-hand shopping tips to share? Are you gearing up to join us in the contest?

1 comment:

{darlene} said...

great list! I also love L.A. vintage. A perk of buying older items? EVERYTHING was made better. Even if I had all the money in the world, I would still buy my furniture used! {and cover it in expensive fabrics. haha!}
Thanks for stopping by my "home" today! I would love it if you followed along!
{darlene}
www.fieldstonehilldesign.com