Thursday, December 3, 2009

What Do You Feed Your Skin Every Day?

As I mentioned, we were at my mother-in-law's for the Thanksgiving holiday. While there I was reminded of how many toxic chemicals we have eliminated from our home and how many are still in the homes of others. As I stood in the bathroom getting ready, I looked around at all the products and couldn't help but think about how many chemicals people put on them every day just in the beauty department. Then I thought about all my friends who insist that it's not that much/it can't matter that much. So I thought it might be a helpful exercise just to take a look at how many beauty products the average person uses in a day.
  • Toothpaste
  • Soap/body wash
  • Shave cream
  • Lotion/After shave
  • SPF
  • Face cream
  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner
  • Hair product
  • Cosmetics
  • Perfume
  • Facial Cleanser
What am I missing? Then you add that all together and multiply it by every day of the year. Just think of all the chemicals that could enter your body! Sometimes when we look at the change one product would make, it doesn't seem like that much. But as we can start to trade up many of these for ourselves and our families, we can really start to make a difference in what we are doing to/for our bodies and our health.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

It's scary isn't it? I a just starting my journey and it is easy to get overwhelmed by all the things that are out there that are bad!
We have made huge strides in the chemical department. No household cleaners left that are un-natural except dish washer detergent (got any suggestions that are frugal?). And we are just now starting our journey into body products.
I am using coconut oil as a moisturizer and just started making my own deoderant that I LOVE--stood the test of my grandmother's hot house on Thanksgiving!
It is baby steps for us, but its coming along!
Thanks for your blog--I truly love reading!

John at Cell Phone Recycling said...

It really is scary so we really should be extra careful in what we put on our body. And to the company and manufacturers I just hope they be responsible enough and not just feeding us with misleading products for the sake of profit.

Willo said...

It is SO scary! I am so glad to hear of the changes you are making! And how sweet of you to enjoy the blog. It's really my pleasure.

Anonymous said...

http://themedicalsanctuary.com.au/articles/cms/16/women's-skin-soaks-up-5lb-of-beauty-products-each-year

Have a look at this if you really want to scare yourself!

We've been discussing this and other issues on our forum, Down To Earth which is an offshoot of RhondaJean's Down To Earth Blog...come and have a look ;)
Sue

coffeee @ DTE